Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hannibal the Cannibal & Terminator Salvation

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

So I checked out Silence of the Lambs from my school library today, and have decided to put off Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for a while to read the Thomas Harris novel. Lately, the psychological thriller genre has been fascinating me [ever since I watched Red Eye on Saturday and started brainstorming for my new character, Phineas] and I want to take a dive into the complex mind of a socio- or psychopath. Norman Bates will forever be the incarnation for me of this genre, but Hannibal Lecter is making his way up there. I've only seen half of the movie as of now, but I intend to watch it later when I have more time -- I'm trying to survive this last week of school before break, and I'm trying to focus as much as I can on school work. But back to the point -- I intend to finish Silence of the Lambs at a later time, but in the meanwhile divulge myself in the reading of the novel... Even though I do love Philip K. Dick with a passion. Oh, and last weekend - on Sunday - I went over to my best friend's house, Elena Marie, and we watched Batman and Robin, the cheesiest Batman movie I must admit, but one of my favorites, and Terminator Salvation, which was decent, but could've been better. I think Christian Bale is an excellent actor, but he took the role of John Connor much too seriously, and made him more of a serious, uncaring 'hero' -- who yes, is still great -- but it just didn't exactly work out with the image of an older John Connor I had in mind. I thought Sam Worthington did a great job as Marcus Wright -- who's name I didn't realize was this until the end of the movie -- and I especially liked the romance he had with that Resistance girl. Anton Yelchin, as usual, did a brilliant job of portraying Kyle Reese, and I wished he had had a few more scenes (though the scene with the bazooka made it all worth it). The character who I found the most fascinting however was Serena, played by Helena Bonham Carter. I must say it took me a while to recognize it was actually her, because her look was changed, and her normal British accent (Cockney maybe?) was gone. As always, however, she was mind-blowing, and perfect for the part of the villain (because really, that's what she was). One aspect of the film that I did like was the special effects -- all the machine monsters were extremely well done, and they looked completly real, and totally kick-ass. I was truly frightened of them, especially that 'Harvester' creature. And now that I realize I'm going off on a tangent, I may wrap up, hoping that next time when I post, it'll be more about Silence of the Lambs, because Hannibal Lecter is probably the creepiest, most fascinating villain out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment